Our County

Collage 4

Background SpacerAnimal Control

Haldimand County Animal Control Services related to animal care and control help to ensure that the residents with and without pets may enjoy municipal amenities and a high standard of quality of life.  The health and safety of all our animals contributes to the health, well-being and liveability of our County.

Haldimand County has contracted the Welland & District SPCA to provide a County-wide Animal Control Service.

Welland & District SPCA
60 Provincial Street
Welland, ON  L3B 5W7
Phone 1-888-222-0568 / Fax 905-735-7414

pdf_miniAnimal Control By-Law 1396/13

Dog Licences
All dogs over 16 weeks of age within Haldimand County are required to be licenced (please note that pit bulls are prohibited).  Dog licences are valid from January 1st to December 31st of any year.  Licences are available by November 1st of each year.

Fee Schedule  On or Before January 1st  After January 1st 
Spayed/Neutered & Microchipped/Tattooed $19 $29
Spayed/Neutered $25 $35
Non-Spayed/Neutered & Microchipped/Tattooed $36 $46
Non-Spayed/Neutered $40 $50
Dangerous Dog $108 $118
Replacement Tag $4 $4
Police/Service Dogs (proof of documentation required) No Charge No Charge

*Please Note: A valid rabies certificate, spay/neuter and microchip/tattoo certificate must be produced at time of purchase of licence to qualify for the reduced fee.

As of November 1, 2016, you can purchase your Dog Licence on line.  Please visit http://wellandspca.docupet.com or visit the one of the following locations:  

Haldimand County Satellite Office - 282 Argyle St S

Haldimand County Administrative Office - 45 Munsee St N
Cayuga Pets N' More - 8 Ouse St N

Haldimand County Satellite Office - 111 Broad St E

Haldimand County Satellite Office - 1 Main St S

Jarvis Library - 2 Monson St

Selkirk Library - 34 Main St


Barking Dogs 

Persistent barking, whining or other similar persistent noise made by any domesticated dog or member of the canis familiaris species may be considered excessive noise under Haldimand County's pdf_miniNoise By-Law 1098/10.  A formal complaint may be made by completing the form below or by contacting the Welland & District SPCA.

For more information please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions.

Animal Control Complaints
If you wish to make a complaint with respect to animal control, including animals at large and barking dogs, please contact the Welland & District SPCA or complete the form below.

Animal Control Complaint Form 

Livestock Claims 

The Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program provides financial assistance to producers whose livestock, poultry and honey bees have been damaged by wildlife.

To be eligible for compensation, a producer must: 

  • Be a sole proprietor, corporation, partnership or unincorporated association;
  • Have a valid Farm Business Registration number (FBR) or approved documentation issued by the Ministry of Agriculture and Food for new/retired farmers that do not qualify for an FBR number, or have a religious exemption approved by the Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs Appeal Tribunal or a confirmation letter provided by the Indian Agricultural Program of Ontario (IAPO);
  • Have a Premises Identification Number or a confirmation letter provided by the Indian Agricultural Program of Ontario (IAPO), unless a Premises Identification Number is not available in that particular area;
  • The weight of poultry injured or killed must be more than 25 kilograms;
  • Must demonstrate to the valuer that reasonable effort has been taken to prevent incidences of wildlife damage to livestock, poultry, beehives, bee colonies or beehive related equipment to be eligible for a claim;
  • Apply for compensation under the program using the application form (provided by the Livestock Valuer);
  • Be in compliance with and remain in compliance with all applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws; and
  • Fully cooperate in any audits that may be initiated in relation to any compensation the applicant receives under the program.

Claims for damages under this program are to be reported to one of Haldimand County's Livestock Valuers within 48 hours of discovering the injury/death, and are subject to inspection and a report by Haldimand County's Livestock Valuer.  Please contact By-Law Enforcement for Livestock Valuers' contact information.

More information on the program is available online at www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/livestock/predation.htm or the Ministry of Agriculture and Food can be contacted by phone at 1-877-424-1300 for general questions about the program. 

Interior Footer

©Copyright 2001 - 2015, the Corporation of Haldimand County.