Our County

Collage 13

Background SpacerNoise

 pdf_miniNoise By-Law 1098/10 prohibits and regulates certain types of noise within Haldimand County that are clearly audible and likely to disturb, and is enforced on a complaint basis by By-Law Enforcement Officers and the Ontario Provincial Police.

What is Noise?
Noise means unwanted sound, and for the purposes of this by-law, sound in excess of the limits or specifically prohibited in the Noise By-law is defined to be noise.

What Does the Noise By-Law Address?  

  • General Prohibitions (see Part III)
  • Prohibitions by Time and Place (see Part IV)
  • General Limitations on Sound Levels Due to Stationary Sources (see Part V)
  • Limitation on Sound from Residential Air Conditioners (see Part VI)
  • Limitation on Sound from Blasting (see Part VII)
  • Motor Vehicle Racing and Analogous (Similar) Uses (see Part VIII)
  • Disturbing a Religious Ceremony in a Place of Worship (see Part IX)
  • Persistent Barking of Dogs (see Animal Control)

 What is Exempt from the Noise By-Law?  

  • Public Safety and Highways (despite any other provision of this by-law) (see Part XI)
  • Agricultural or Farm Activity (notwithstanding any other provision of this by-law) (see Part XI)
  • Bells - Clocks - Public - Religious (see Part XI)
  • County Operations (see Part XI)
  • Traditional, Festive or Religious Activities (notwithstanding any other provision of this by-law) (see Part XI)

Please refer to pdf_miniNoise By-Law 1098/10 for more information.

Please call the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) to complain about noise from fighting, screaming, shouting, swearing, singing, loud parties, or someone using insulting or obscene language or other disorderly conduct.

For noise complaints regarding barking dogs, please refer to Animal Control.

For more information please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions.

 If you would like to make a complaint or an inquiry regarding noise, please contact a By-Law Enforcement Officer located in your Enforcement Area at 905-318-5932, or submit the online complaint/inquiry form below.  If the complaint is occuring outside of Haldimand County's regular business hours, please contact the Ontario Provincial Police through the Dispatch Office at 1-888-310-1122. 

Noise Complaint Form 

Interior Footer

©Copyright 2001 - 2015, the Corporation of Haldimand County.