For Visitors

Collage 5

Background SpacerCottonwood Mansion

 

Cottonwood is an Italianate-style red brick mansion built c. 1865-70 by William Holmes, Jr., as a private residence. Descendants of the family say the name came from the cottonwood trees that originally surrounded the home on its 300 acre site. Beginning in 1911, only a portion of the building continued to be lived in.  This was the case until 1988 when its total restoration was undertaken by the late Larry Hamilton beginning in 1988.

Cottonwood is a 6,000 square foot mansion with fifteen rooms, some of which have the original furniture donated by Holmes’ family members. Now a living museum, the mansion is open for tours, and available for rentals for a variety of events. A number of scheduled events take place annually, most with a Victorian flavour in keeping with the mission statement of the Cottonwood Mansion Preservation Foundation to sustain and maintain the Mansion and provide experiences of the Victorian Era.Cottonwood 

 Cottonwood’s extensive genealogy research centre is now administered by the curator at Haldimand County Museum and Archives. It concentrates on the pioneer families of the Haldimand and Niagara areas.

Located 4 km north of Selkirk on Haldimand Road 53, 4.5 km south of Highway #3. Please use front door.

Hours of Operation:
• Thursday to Saturday 1:00 - 4:00 PM, until December 22nd when it closes for the season reopening April 2015.
• Open for events and by appointment. Bus tours are welcome.

740 Haldimand Road 53,
P.O. Box 56 Selkirk, ON N0A 1P0
P: 905-776-2538 or 1-866-307-2329 F: 905-776-2538
Cottonwoodmansion@gmail.com 

Cottonwood Ad 2007 

 

 

Interior Footer

©Copyright 2001 - 2015, the Corporation of Haldimand County.