For those interested in a career as a Paramedic.
The Ambulance Act Of Ontario has certain criteria that must be met prior to being certified by the government to work as a Paramedic in Ontario.
The Ontario Government requires all Paramedics in Ontario to have:
- An Ontario Secondary School graduation diploma, or Equivalent.
- The ability to read and write the English language fluently.
- A valid driver’s license that authorizes the person to drive an Ambulance. E.g. Class F.
- Maintained, during the past two years prior to employment, and maintain during employment a valid driver’s license.
- Not have at any time in the three years prior to employment, been prohibited from driving under the Criminal Code of Canada.
- Not received in the year immediately prior to hire six or more demerit points on their driver’s license.
- A valid certificate signed by a physician that states a person has up to date immunization against disease. Person must also be free of all communicable diseases.
- A criminal record search proving the person has not been convicted of any crime of moral turpitude for which the person has not been pardoned.
- Valid certification in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) to the basic rescuer level. (Min.) This must be maintained on a yearly basis after hire.
You also have to graduate a two-year College course. (Primary Care Paramedic Program) This course includes classroom time, hospital practicum, as well as ride outs on an ambulance with a fully qualified crew of Paramedics. For More information about the Paramedic program contact one of the many Colleges in Ontario that offer the course.
For High School Students your guidance counsellor can also help find information on the Paramedic course.
Admission Requirements for the College Course: (This is only an example of what some Colleges require)
- High School Diploma (general or advanced level) Grade 11 or 12 Biology is required
- Valid CPR and First Aid
- A criminal record check.
- Immunized against Hepatitis B, Tetanus, Polio, and Diphtheria. Must also have proof of immunization against Flu, and Chicken pox (or must have had chicken pox)
- Must pass a Canadian Physical Activity, Fitness and Leisure Assessment.
After completing the college program, all graduates must write, and pass a provincial exam. This will enable them to be able to work as a Paramedic in the Province of Ontario.
Further training will be required once a person is hired by an Ambulance service.
For those interested in becoming a Paramedic talk to someone at your local service, find out all you can about the job. (It is not for everyone)