For Residents

Collage 14

Background Spacer

Waste & Recycling FAQ

Does Haldimand County sell backyard composters?

Please call the County at 905-318-5932 for the current price. Composters can be purchased for a fee at the following locations:

  • Canborough Waste Management Facility – 499 James Road, Dunnville
  • Dunnville Multi-Purpose Building – 117 Forest Street East
  • Caledonia Satellite Office - 282 Argyle Street South
  • Hagersville Satellite Office – 1 Main Street South

My recycling bin is broken – how can I get a new one?

You can obtain a new one from our waste and recycling contractor, Modern at 1-844-624-3126. A new recycling bin will be dropped off at your address on your next regular scheduled pick-up day.

How can I dispose of large / bulky items?

Please call Modern at 1-844-624-3126 to pre-book a residential bulky item collection. Residential bulky item collection takes place monthly. Residential owners are allowed a maximum of two (2) bulky material collections per calendar year consisting no more than six (6) items per collection for FREE!

Examples of bulky items include:

  • Box springs and mattresses
  • Carpet (bundled in rolls: length 1.2m/4ft; diameter 30.5cm/12in)
  • Couches and other furniture
  • Dressers
  • Shelving units

For a more detailed list, please see the Waste & Recycling Guide.

What items can I put in my household garbage/recycling and which need to be taken to the Canborough Waste Management Facility?

Curbside Collections: 

  • Blue/Black Box
  • Garbage
  • Seasonal Yard Waste (for the urban areas of Caledonia, Cayuga, Dunnville, Hagersville, Jarvis and Townsend only).
  • Residential Bulky Items (Call Modern at 1-844-624-3126 to arrange pick up)
Canborough Waste Management Facility Drop Off:
  • Electronics
  • Batteries
  • Construction Demolition waste
  • Tires
  • Yard waste  (seasonally free, otherwise the regular tipping fee applies)
  • Scrap Metal
  • Natural Christmas Trees (seasonally)
  • Recycling materials
  • Used Clothing
What to do at home:
  • Backyard composting
  • Grasscycling

Where can I take my household hazardous waste items? When?

The County holds four Household Hazardous Waste Days each year. Those dates can be found in the Waste & Recycling Guide. If you need to get rid of household hazardous waste at any other time you can find out where at

Where can I dispose of my Christmas tree?

Help keep Christmas trees out of the landfill. Please refer to the Christmas Tree Recycling Program section of the Waste & Recycling Guide. 

Where can I recycle single use batteries?

Haldimand County has a ‘battery drop off’ program. You can bring your used, single use batteries to any one of the County’s administrative offices, Canborough Waste Management Facility, or library branches for disposal. For more information, please call 905-318-5932.

Does my neighbourhood receive leaf pick up service?

Only the urban areas of Caledonia, Cayuga, Dunnville, Hagersville, Jarvis and Townsend get yard waste pick up on their garbage collection days during set times in the spring and fall. During these times other residents who do not receive yard waste pick up can take their yard waste free of charge to the Canborough Transfer Station located at 499 James Road in Dunnville.

How many garbage bags am I allowed each week?

There is a 3 container (or bag) limit per household and a 10 container (or bag) limit per business, farming property, or group home.

How does Haldimand handle recyclables?

Please refer to the Waste and Recycling Guide found in the waste management page of our website.

My garbage / recycling wasn’t picked up – why?

If your garbage, recycling or bulky items were not collected please see page 3, Curbside Collection Program, section of the Waste & Recycling Guide for collection tips and essentials. For any other missed collection issues please call Modern at 1-844-624-3126.

What day will my garbage & recycling collection take place?

Garbage & Recycling is collected in Haldimand County communities on the following days:

  • Caledonia:

    Thursday & Friday
  • Cayuga:

    Tuesday, Thursday & Friday
  • Dunnville:

    Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday
  • Hagersville:

  • Jarvis:

  • Townsend:


If you have a question about garbage, recycling or bulky item collections, you can contact either:

  • Modern at 1-844-624-3126 or
  • Haldimand County at 905-318-5932 or 
  • E-mail Solid Waste Operations.
Interior Footer

©Copyright 2001 - 2015, the Corporation of Haldimand County.