For Residents

Collage 14

Background SpacerDuff House
5 Mohawk Street East, Cayuga, Ontario.

History:
This house is a replica of a 17th century New England settler's house of garrison design. Gerond and Mary Duff used old building materials and architectural antiques to construct it. Also on this property sits an early Ontario log house, which was built in 1851. The log house originally stood at the fork on Kohler Road in Cayuga, however, in 1964 the Duffs purchased it, and had it dismantled and reconstructed at its present location.

Features Designated:

  • Clapboard siding
  • Steep pitched cedar-shake A-roof
  • Second storey overhang with wooden pendants
  • Double casement wooden windows
  • Brick chimney
  • Exterior doors
  • Reclaimed brick mudroom
  • Hand-laid stone wall
  • Pumpkin pine throughout the house
  • Pegged interior doors with original hand-forged hardware
  • Pine cupboards, mantel, blanket box
  • Hand-forged iron serving for hinges, latches, and square nails
  • Original beams
  • Open hearth fireplace with antique hardware
  • 12" x 1" pine board flooring

duff_house_tn

Interior Footer

©Copyright 2001 - 2015, the Corporation of Haldimand County.