For Residents

Collage 2

Background SpacerGypsum Mines School
1256 Regional Road 17, Cayuga, Ontario.

History:
This small brick schoolhouse was built circa 1874 to replace a log structure. It is one of the two remaining buildings of the Gypsum Mines Hamlet, which was a thriving, busy community when gypsum was mined locally from 1842 to 1910. This one room schoolhouse served the hamlet of Gypsum Mines and surrounding farms as a school and community center until 1957.

Features Designated Exterior:

  • The original school design of 6 windows, 6 over 6, 3 on each side
  • Cedar shingle roof

gypsum_mines_tn

Interior Footer

©Copyright 2001 - 2015, the Corporation of Haldimand County.