3062 River Road, Cayuga, Ontario.
James Kirkland, a Scottish immigrant, was an early Haldimand entrepreneur. His whisky distillery at Indiana provided a major market for local grain. His house built c. 1861, commands a spectacular view of the Grand River and is one of the finest and most substantial Italianate mansions in the town.
Features Designated Exterior:
- Window frames, sash, glass, storm windows and shutters
- Doors and doorcases
- Front and side porches and verandas
- All brickwork of the original structure
Features Designated Interior:
- All partitions, doors, windows, woodwork, and hardware
- Front and rear stairs
- Plaster ceiling cornices and medallions in main rooms and lower and upper halls
- Nine fireplaces with mantelpieces