For Residents

Collage 4

Background SpacerMcKinnon-Smith House
156 Caithness Street East, Caledonia, Ontario.

History:
One of the first fine homes built in Caledonia; this brick house was built about 1850 by Neil McKinnon who was raised by Ranald McKinnon, the founder of Caledonia. Dr. Ranald McKinnon, the Medical Superintendent for the Six Nations Indians, was born in this house. Later it was the home of A.C Buck, the town chemist, and was illustrated on the Tremaine map of 1863. From 1884 to 1925 Dr. Forbes of prohibition fame lived in it.

Features Designated: 

  • Four chimneys on the main block of the house
  • Cornice and frieze
  • All exterior brick work
  • All window frames and sashes with original hardware and glass
  • North west rear door (originally front door)
  • Dining room fireplace with mantelpiece
  • Consulting room fireplace with mantelpiece
  • All interior woodwork including medicine cabinet with secret compartment, stair, and folding doors between parlor and morning room

 McKinnon-Smith 

 

Interior Footer

©Copyright 2001 - 2015, the Corporation of Haldimand County.