For Residents

Collage 4

Background SpacerRuthven Park
243 Highway #54, Cayuga, Ontario.

History:
Ruthven Estate, the main house and its wing, were designed by the master architect, John Latshaw. It is considered his masterpiece in the domestic field, and Ontario’s finest house in the Greek Revival style. This house is believed to be without peer in the whole of Canada and vying with the best in the United States of America.

Historically the property is important for its connection with five generations of the Thompson family. The Thompson family was entrepreneurs responsible for milling and related enterprises on this section of the Lower Grand River, as well as being involved in early improvements to the waterway. Earlier generations of this family were much involved in political and military, as well as community affairs.

Features Designated:

  • Main house and wing (c. 1845)
  • East wing addition (c. 1884)
  • South wing (c. 1860)
  • South-east wing (c.1880)
  • Coach house/Stable (c. 1845)
  • Tack room addition (c. 1865)
  • Gatehouse (c. 1867)
  • Garden walls (c. 1845 and early twentieth century)
  • Thompson family burial ground (c. 1840 to present)
  • Hill house (c. 1840, Indiana)

ruthven_tn

Interior Footer

©Copyright 2001 - 2015, the Corporation of Haldimand County.