Our County

Collage 12

Background SpacerFrequently Asked Questions

Q)  How do I find out about jobs with Haldimand County?
A) Vacancies are always available on the Haldimand County website and through the County advertisement that appears in the Caledonia Sachem and the Haldimand Press.  At times, we also decide to post vacancies in other areas such as other newspapers, Twitter and trade publications.

Q) When do I need to submit my resume for a posted position?
A) Every employment opportunity has a closing date indicated on the job posting. To ensure your application is considered, your resume must be received by the closing date for that particular competition.  When submitting your resume, be sure to indicate the job posting number and the title of the position you are applying for.

Q) Are all vacancies advertised?
A) No. Union represented vacancies undergo an internal process first in accordance with the provisions of the collective agreement.  Should this process not be successful, external advertising is then pursued for vacancies of three months or more.

Q) How do I apply for a specific position?
A) Please submit your cover letter and resume to Human Resources clearly noting the posting number and position title.  
            Your application can be submitted via:
            e-mail: careers@haldimandcounty.on.ca
            mail:  45 Munsee Street North  Cayuga  ON  N0A 1E0
            In person: Cayuga Administration Building

Q) Where is the Human Resources Division located and what are the hours of operation?
 A) Human Resources is located at the Cayuga Administration Building on the lower level.   The address is 45 Munsee Street North, Cayuga  ON  N0A 1E0.  Hours of operation are Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Q) What is the best format to use for my resume?
 Please submit your cover letter and resume as a Word or PDF attachment.

Q) Should a cover letter be included with my resume?
A) We strongly encourage that a cover letter outlining your expertise and accomplishments accompany your resume.

Q) I have attempted to e-mail my application to careers@haldimandcounty.on.ca and I get the following error message “This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Delivery to the following recipients failed. careers@haldimandcounty.on.ca”.  What do I do?
 A) Your message has been temporarily blocked in our SPAM. Human Resources will receive a report with the blocked messages and those that clearly indicate a posting number and position title will be unblocked and they will be added to the recruitment file.

Q) Can I apply for more than one position at a time?
 A) You are encouraged to apply for any and all positions you are interested in.  Please submit a separate cover letter and resume for each position you are interested in.

Q) I did not receive a confirmation of my application. Why?
 A) Only those who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. We thank you for your interest in Haldimand County.

Q) What happens to my resume once I have applied?
A) If you are applying for a specific position, your resume will be directed automatically to the hiring supervisor responsible for filling that position. After evaluating your skills and background, the hiring supervisor may contact you for further information or an interview. Only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted. When the position has been filled all of the applications will be archived with the recruitment file.

Q) What is the average time to fill a vacancy?
 A) The average time to fill a vacancy is approximately 6 – 8 weeks. Please keep in mind that we may encounter challenges along the way that increase this turn-around time and therefore extends this time frame.

Q) I have submitted my resume, but now realize I made an error in the information I provided. What should I do?
 A) Please re-submit your cover letter and resume clearly indicating it is a revised cover letter and resume to be added to the recruitment file. Please remember to include the posting number and the position title when re-submitting your cover letter and resume.

Q) I have missed the deadline for a position. Can I still apply?
 A) The job postings close at 4:30 pm on the date listed on the posting. Feel free to submit your resume for the position after this date. However, there is no guarantee that the hiring supervisor will review the late submissions.

Q) How do I withdraw my application?
 A) If you are no longer interested in a position and you wish to withdraw your application, Haldimand County requires you to submit your withdrawal in writing by mail or e-mail.

Q) How do I check the status of the position I applied for?
A) Only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.

Q) Do applicants have to go through skill testing or medical testing?
A) Yes. Skill testing is required for most of the positions that are available within Haldimand County. Medical testing is only required for Paramedics, Fire Fighters, and positions at Grandview Lodge Long Term Care Facility.

Q) Does Haldimand County hire seasonal workers?
 A) Yes. The summer application for student positions is available on-line starting in January. The fall / winter positions are advertised through August and September and will be advertised in the local paper and on the Haldimand County Employment / Careers web page. 

Q) I have submitted my on-line application for summer student employment. How do I know if my application was received?
 A) When you submit the application you will receive an applicant number and a confirmation e-mail if the submission was successful. If you do not receive the applicant number or receive an error while submitting, please complete the application again.

Q) Are you recruiting Volunteer Fire Fighters at this time?
 A) Haldimand County begins recruiting Volunteer Fire Fighters in September each year. The on-line Volunteer Fire Fighter application is always available however the actual recruitment process takes place in September each year.

Q) I don’t see a posted opportunity that interests me. Can I submit my resume for future opportunities?
A) No. Haldimand County does not hold resumes for future vacancies. Only those applications that are submitted for a current vacancy will be kept and when the vacancies are filled the applications are archived and cannot be used for other job vacancies.

Q)  Does the County offer Co-op education placements? 

A) Yes we offer Co-op placements.  It is up to the Division Manager to coordinate placements. Interested students should contact the County Division that they are interested in.  For general information, you can contact the Coordinator, Employment Services at 905-318-5932, ext. 6325.

Interior Footer

©Copyright 2001 - 2015, the Corporation of Haldimand County.